Fried Green Tomatoes
A Southern fried favorite!
3 medium sized green tomatoes, cut into 1/3 inch slices
1 large egg, beaten
½ cup milk
½ cup flour
½ cup cornmeal
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Additional salt and pepper to taste if desired
- Combine egg and milk in a shallow dish, set aside.
- Combine half the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper in another shallow dish, set aside.
- Dredge tomato slices first in flour, then in egg mixture and then in cornmeal mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet (or deep fryer).Cook tomatoes for 2 minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired.